Saturday, April 13, 2024

John Hummel, Texas

John Hummel, Texas

June 30, 2021

John William Hummel was executed by the state of Texas on Wednesday, June 30, 2021. John was 45 years of age. He was pronounced dead at 6:49 pm local time, inside the Walls Unit execution chamber at the Huntsville State Penitentiary in Huntsville, Texas. John was executed for the murder of his pregnant wife, 34-year-old Joy Keziyah Hummel, their 5-year-old daughter Jodi Ruth Hummel, and his father-in-law Clyde Bedford, in Kennedale, Texas. John spent the last nine years of his life on Texas’ death row.

John graduated from high school and had gotten married. He worked as a security guard at Walls Hospital in Cleburne, Texas.

In the fall of 2009, John Hummel lived with his wife, daughter, and father-in-law in a house in Kennedale, Texas. While working as an overnight security guard, Hummel met a clerk at a store at which he often stopped. He and the clerk, Kristie Freeze, became friendly and eventually began exchanging sexually explicit text messages, leading to an affair.

When Kristie discovered the Hummel’s wife was pregnant, she asked him to stop contacting her, however, he continued to call and text. Kristie informed Hummel on December 16, 2009, that her divorce had become final. The following evening Hummel visited Kristie and her young daughter at their apartment. Hummel stayed for about 30 minutes.

During the early morning hours of December 18, 2009, a fire was reported at Hummel’s home. After extinguishing the fire, the bodies of Joy, Jodi, and Clyde were discovered, each in their bedrooms. Joy was found on the floor, with bloody clothing nearby. Investigators also determined that injuries to her hands and upper body did not appear to be caused by the fire.

When police questioned Hummel immediately after the fire, Hummel said that he had driven to visit a friend, and when the friend wasn’t home, he drove around for a while, waiting for him to get home. When he never arrived, Hummel went to Walmart to check prices for Christmas. Hummel claimed he discovered the fire when he got home to find the police and firemen there. Police noticed that there appeared to be blood on Hummel’s pants and asked for his clothing. Hummel gave it to the police, along with a statement, and left.

Hummel went to work in the morning, acting as if nothing was wrong. Later that day, friends and co-workers were unable to reach him on his cell phone and a missing-person report was filed.

A police investigation revealed that the fire had been set intentionally. Joy had also been stabbed a total of 35 times, in addition to having defensive wounds. There were also indications that she had been struck on the head multiple times. Clyde and Jodi both had extensive skull fractures. Evidence indicated that all three victims were dead prior to the fire.

On December 20, 2009, Hummel attempted to re-enter the United States from Mexico, on foot, using his driver’s license. The Customs officer received a warning that Hummel was wanted and he was taken to the San Diego County Jail. Upon being questioned, Hummel quickly confessed and provided a new, different statement about his activities the night of the murder and how he carried out the murders. Hummel was sentenced to death in 2011.

Hummel was previously scheduled to be executed in March of 2020, however he was granted a temporary reprieve by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals due to concerns over the coronavirus.

Pray for peace and healing for the families of the Joy, Jodi, and Clyde. Pray for strength for the family of John Hummel.

For more information regarding how your financial support can help, please click here.