Friday, April 19, 2024

Missouri Executes Kevin Johnson on November 29, 2022

Kevin Johnson, Missouri

Updated: Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Kevin Johnson

Missouri executed Kevin Johnson, Jr, on Tuesday, November 29, 2022.  The execution was carried out at 7:40 pm local time, inside the execution chamber at the Eastern Reception, Diagnostics, and Corrections Center in Bonne Terre, Missouri.  Kevin was 37 years of age.  He was convicted of murdering Police Sergeant William McEntee on July 5, 2005, in Kirkwood, Missouri.  Kevin spent the last 15 years of his life on Missouri’s death row.

Kevin had a sad childhood.  He was abandoned by his parents and often went without food, clothing, and decent shelter.  His mother was addicted to drugs.  Kevin lived in a series of different homes and was physically abused by his aunt.  He also witnessed physical, emotional, and sexual abuse while growing up.

Kevin Johnson received probation for committing an assault. He violated his probation agreement and a warrant was issued for his arrest.

Shortly after 5 pm on July 5, 2005, Kirkwood police, with knowledge of the warrant, began investigating a vehicle thought to belong to Johnson. Police quickly called off their investigation when Johnson’s younger brother had a seizure nearby and the family requested the assistance of the police. He later died while at the hospital from a preexisting heart condition.

After the police left, Johnson retrieved his nine-millimeter handgun from his vehicle. That evening, while with friends, Johnson complained that the police were too busy looking for him to help his brother.

Later that evening, police responded to a report of fireworks being set off. Sergeant William McEntee was the responding officer. Sgt. Mcentee remained in his vehicle while talking to some youths in the area. Johnson approached from the passenger side, squatted down, and said “You killed my brother.” Johnson then fired into the vehicle five times. McEntee was struck in the head and upper torso. One of the kids to whom he was talking was also hit in the leg. After firing, Johnson reached into the vehicle and took Sgt. McEntee’s weapon.

Johnson proceeded to walk down the street, where he encountered his mother and her boyfriend. He told his mother it was the fault of the police that his brother died and that they needed to know what it feels like. He then continued walking. The patrol car Sgt. McEntee was driving rolled down the street, struck another car, and finally a tree before stopping. Sgt. McEntee was still alive, but unable to talk. He exited the vehicle and sat on his knees. Johnson reappeared and shot Sgt. McEntee twice in the head. Sgt. McEntee collapsed on the ground and Johnson went through his pockets. Sgt. McEntee died from his seven gunshot wounds, all from a nine-millimeter handgun.

Johnson hid out at a friend’s house for three days. Eventually, he made arrangements to turn himself in to the police. He was convicted and sentenced to death in 2007.

Please pray for peace for the family of William McEntee.  Pray for strength for the family of Kevin Johnson.

For more information regarding how your financial support can help, please click here.