Torrey McNabb, Alabama


October 19, 2017

Torrey Twane McNabb was executed by the state of Alabama on Thursday, October 19, 2017. Torrey was pronounced dead at 9:38 pm CDT, inside the execution chamber at the Holeman Correctional Facility in Atmore, Alabama. His execution was delayed for several hours due to appeals. Torrey was 40 years of age. Torrey was executed for the murder of Police Officer Anderson Gordon on September 24, 1997, in Montgomery, Alabama. Torrey spent the last 18 years on Alabama’s death row.

Torrey’s father had spent time in prison and his mother was a cocaine addict. Torrey began using cocaine around the age of 14 or 15.

On September 24, 1997, Sanford Sharpe, a bail bondsman, was attempting to locate Torrey McNabb, who had failed to appear in court to charges of receiving stolen property and possession of a controlled substance. After failing to appear, a warrant was issued for his arrest. Sanford located McNabb and McNabb’s grandmother’s residence. Sanford spoke with McNabb, who said he would go with Sanford. Under the pretense of putting on shoes, McNabb fled out the back door.


Later that day, around 1:30 pm, Sanford again located McNabb, this time parked in a vehicle outside of his grandmother’s home. Sanford pulled up beside McNabb. When McNabb noticed Sanford, he quickly drove away. Sanford pursued. While crossing an intersection, McNabb struck another vehicle. Sanford drove up and started to get out of his vehicle when McNabb started shooting a gun. Sanford quickly drove away from the gunfire and called the police. Sanford then returned to intersection and parked next to a police patrol vehicle. Inside was Officer Anderson Gordon, who had been shot several times. Sanford, fearing for his safety, pulled out his own weapon. Police arrived a short time later and confiscated Sanford’s weapon.


Annie Gamble, was the women whose vehicle had been struck by McNabb. After being struck, Annie saw McNabb, who she identified later, pull a gun. She pleaded with him not to shoot her. McNabb began shooting at a red truck that drove by. Annie then saw McNabb walking towards the police patrol parked on the corner, hiding his weapon. McNabb approached the rear of the patrol car and began firing into the car, shattering the rear window. When the officer fired back, McNabb fled the scene.


Several other eyewitnesses corroborated Annie’s story. They were also able to tell police what direction the shooter had fled. Police officers pursued. McNabb attempted to hide in a ditch and, upon discover, shot at the officers. The officers returned fire, wounding McNabb.


McNabb was treated for his injuries and confessed to the shootings, telling police a similar story as reported by the witnesses. However, McNabb disputes the earlier events as reported by Sanford, alleging that Sanford fired at him first and was an “out of control bounty hunter.” He also claims that he approached Officer Gordon for help and that the officer pointed a gun at him first, causing him the panic. Witnesses report that the police officers weapon was not drawn when McNabb began shooting. He also argued that he was high on cocaine that morning making him unaware of his actions and paranoid. McNabb was sentenced to death in 1999.


Please pray for peace and healing for the family of Officer Anderson Gordon. Please pray for strength for the family of Torrey McNabb.


For more information regarding financial support, please click here.