Alfred Bourgeois, Federal


Updated: Monday, January 13, 2020

Alfred Bourgeois was scheduled to be executed on Monday, January 13, 2020, at Federal Correctional Complex in Terre Haute, Indiana. His execution has been stayed. Fifty-five-year-old Alfred has been sentenced to death for sexually molesting and murdering his 2-and-a-half-year-old daughter JG, at the Corpus Christi Naval Air Station in Texas on July 28, 2002. Alfred has spent the last 16 years on death row in a federal prison.

JG was born in October 1999, to Katrina Harrison, who retained custody of the child in Livingston, Texas. In April 2002, Katrina had JG’s paternity determined. Alfred Bourgeois was determined to be the father and Katrina sued for child support. At the time Bourgeois was living in LaPlace, Louisiana, with his wife Robin, and their two children.

At a child support hearing in May 2002, Bourgeois was ordered to pay child support. Bourgeois was also granted custody of JG for seven weeks. JG left her mother in good health and free of injuries.

For a few weeks, JG lived with her father in LaPlace, until Bourgeois began his long-haul trucking route at the end of May. The entire family stayed in the truck together. Witnesses testified that Bourgeois would often beat JG when she had accidents during her potty training. JG was observed to have black eyes, bruises, bites on her hands, feet, and forehead, burns on the bottom of her feet. When other family members tried to clean JG’s injuries, Bourgeois would stop them, jam his dirty fingers into the wounds, and then force JG to walk around on her injured feet.

Additionally, JG had a fear of water, however, when Bourgeois believed it was time for her to learn how to swim, he threw her into the pool, letting her sink, before pulling her out and repeating the “lesson.” When the family visited the ocean, JG was forced into the water and held under. When they finally left, JG’s stomach was swollen and she had difficulty walking from all the salt water she had swallowed.


Evidence of sexual abuse also present while JG was staying with Bourgeois. Bourgeois would sleep in a locked room with JG and one of his daughters. His wife and the other child would sleep in a separate room. A family friend noticed blood in JG’s diaper and encouraged the family to take her for an evaluation. The doctor who performed the examination was unable to determine the cause of injury. Later, after JG”s death, the same doctor again examined her and found it was likely caused by sexually molestation.


Bourgeois would attempt to hide JG’s injuries or explain them, saying she was in a car accident. Bourgeois also talked frequently of killing JG, telling his family of plans he had concocted. When questioned, Bourgeois could provide additional details for the plans.


On July 26, 2002, the family arrived at Corpus Christi Naval Air Station to deliver a shipment. At some point after arriving, JG tipped over her training potty, causing Bourgeois to beat her. Warehouse workers near the trailer felt the shaking coming from the cab of the truck.


When Robin woke up shortly after the beating, she discovered that JG was limp, with her eyes closed and heart racing. Robin tried to get Bourgeois to take JG to a hospital immediately, however, Bourgeois was resistant. Bourgeois eventually left the cab with JG. When Robin exited the cab of the truck, she found JG lying on the floor. Robin attempted CPR, while other called for an ambulance.


Robin and Bourgeois told FBI agents and Child Protective Services workers that JG had fallen out of the truck. JG was taken to the hospital and kept on life support until her mother arrived. JG died in her mothers arms on July 28, 2002. The official cause of death was an impact to the head, resulting in brain injury, however the autopsy also concluded that JG had been chronically abused and battered, with deep tissue bruising over every area of her body.


Bourgeois was convicted of premeditated murder and sentenced to death in 2003.


Alfred Bourgeois' execution has been halted by U.S. District Court Judge Tanya Chutkan, who halted all federal executions scheduled throughout December 2019, and January 2020.  Judge Chutkan issued the stays of execution after arguments that the federal execution protocol is unconstitutional because it violates a 1994 federal statute that says federal executions shall be carried out “in the manner prescribed by the law of the State in which the sentence is imposed.”  In announcing the resumption of federal executions earlier this year, Attorney General Barr announced that the execution would be carried out using a single drug, instead of a three-drug process used in most states.  Judge Chutkan has found that simply using lethal injection does not satisfy that statue, but the a drugs and process need to also be similar.


The Justice Department appealed the stay of execution, which was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States. While there were no dissents in the Supreme Court ruling, three of the Supreme Court Justices wrote that they believed the lower court should be able to resolve the issue within 60 days and urged the lower court to not delay in the case.


Please pray for the family of JG. Please pray for strength for the family of Alfred. Pray that if Alfred is innocent, lacks the competency to be executed, or should not be executed for any other reason, that evidence will be presented prior to his execution. Pray that Alfred may come to find peace through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, if he has not already.



For more information regarding financial support, please click here.