Fabian Hernandez, Texas


Updated: Monday, April 27, 2020

Fabian Hernandez was scheduled to be executed at 6 pm local time on Thursday, April 23, 2020, at the Walls Unit of the Huntsville State Penitentiary in Huntsville, Texas.  His execution has been stayed. Forty-three-year-old Fabian is convicted of murdering his former wife, 28-year-old Renee Urbina Hernandez, and her 24-year-old friend, Arturo Lee Fonseca, on November 3, 2006, in front of Renee’s parent’s home in El Paso, Texas. Fabian has been on death row in Texas for the last 10 years.

Fabian was granted a stay of execution by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.  He has been granted a 60-day stay of execution for unspecified reasons. Hernandez's attorney requested a stay of execution due to the ongoing current health crisis.  Two other inmates prior to Fabian were also granted 60-day stays of execution due to coronavirus pandemic.

Fabian did not complete high school, dropping out after the 9th grade. Prior to his arrest, Fabian worked in construction. Fabian had also previously been convicted of voluntary manslaughter in New Mexico in a gang-related shooting. Fabian was a known member of a gang and, prior to his trial, attempted to have witnesses killed.

Fabian Hernandez was married to Renee Urbina and the couple had two children. The marriage was tumultuous, with the couple splitting up and reuniting several times. They were also both know to drink heavily. In April 2006, it appeared that the couple had split up for good, with Renee and the children moving in with Renee’s mother. At the time Renee worked at a McDonald’s, where she met Arturo Fonseca, with whom she would go out partying.

On the night of November 2, 2006, Fabian met up with an old friend at a local bar. The friend noted that Fabian appeared distressed and was not acting normally. Fabian told his friend that he had “messed up” with Renee and that he missed his children. Fabian also appeared to be drunk. The friend agreed to drop Fabian off at a motel, but Fabian wanted dropped off at a location that was approximately a four minute walk from where Renee was staying.


Around 2:30 am, on November 3, 2006, Renee’s sister heard arguing outside, followed by three gunshots. She then saw a white, two-door car drive away slowly. When Renee’s sister went outside to investigate, she discovered a male body lying between two vehicles. She went back inside to the call the police. Renee’s mother found Renee’s body nearby. A neighbor also heard the gunshots, saw a two-door white Honda driving away, and also called the police.


Arturo was later identified as the male body lying between the vehicles. Both he and Renee died from close range gunshot wounds to their heads.


Police later found the white, two-door Honda hidden behind the home of one of Fabian’s friends, whose house Fabian had stopped by the morning after the shooting. A search of Fabian’s father’s home allowed police to locate the weapon used in the shooting.


Pray for peace for the families of Renee and Arturo. Pray for strength for the family of Fabian. Pray that if Fabian is innocent, lacks the competency to be executed or should not be executed for any other reason, that evidence will be provided before his execution. Pray that Fabian may come to find peace through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, if he has not already.



For more information regarding financial support, please click here.