Updated: Wednesday, May 11, 2016  8:44 pm EDT


Earl Forrest has been executed by the state of Missouri.  Read more about Earl here.


Updated: Wednesday, May 11, 2016  4:00 pm EDT


Missouri Governor Jay Nixon has, after careful review, rejected a request for clemency for Earl Forrest.  The Supreme Court of the United States has also denied a request to stay his execution, scheduled for this evening.


Updated: Tuesday, May 10, 2016  7:45 pm EDT


Lawyers for Earl Forrest have asked the Supreme Court of the United States to stay Earl's execution.  They are arguing that the death penalty is unconstitutional.  Earl has not shown remorse for his actions that landed him on death row, according to recent interviews.


Updated: Monday, May 9, 2016  12:37 pm EDT


Earl Mitchell Forrest's execution is scheduled to occur at 6 pm CDT, on Wednesday, May 11, 2016, at the Eastern Reception, Diagnostic, and Corrections Center, in Bonne Terre, Missouri.  Sixty-six-year-old Earl is convicted of the murder of Michael Wells, Harriet Smith, and Deputy Sharon Joann Barnes on December 9, 2002, in Salem, Missouri.  Earl has spent the last 13 years of his life on Missouri’s death row.


Earl had difficult life growing up.  He was often hit by his father, who encouraged him to fight.  Earl also began drinking and using illegal drugs, activities supported by his father, at an early age.  Although never married, Earl was a father figure to the children of one of his girlfriends, Nancy Young.  They all testified that he was a good father-figure.  Earl was known for abusing alcohol and methamphetamine.  He was also known as a hard worker, although he needed supervision to complete even basic tasks.


On December 9, 2002, Earl Forrest had been drinking alcohol.  Forrest and his then-girlfriend, Angelia Gamblin, went to the home of Harriet Smith.  Allegedly, Forrest and Harriet had an agreement in which he would introduce Harriet to a source of methamphetamine in exchange for a lawn mower and a mobil home.  According to Forrest, Harriet failed to “fulfill her part of the bargain.”  


Angelia waited in the car, while Forrest entered the home.  Also present inside the home was Michael Wells, Harriet’s friend.  After Forrest entered the home, a fight ensued, which resulted in Michael being shot and killed.  Harriet attempted to escape using Angelia’s car.  Harriet hit a tree branch backing out of the driving, causing the car to be stuck.  Forrest brought Harriet back into the house, where he shot her a total of six times, killing her.


Forrest took a lockbox containing approximately $25,000 worth of methamphetamine and fled with his girlfriend.  Sheriff Bob Wofford and Deputy Sharon Joann Barnes were investigating the shooting and went to talk to Forrest.  Forrest opened fire on the officers, killing Deputy Barnes and injuring Sheriff Wofford.


After being convicted and sentenced to death for the murders of Michael, Harriet, and Sharon, Forrest was linked to the 1995 California murder of 39-year-old Lori Beth Stefan.  She was last seen alive heading towards Forrest’s home.  Police officials visited Forrest in prison in Missouri, where he confessed.  Due to his pending execution, it is unlikely that Forrest will ever face charges for Lori’s murder.


Please pray for peace and healing for the families of Micheal Wells, Harriet Smith, Sharon Barnes, and Lori Stefan.  Please pray for strength for the family of Earl Forrest.  Please pray that if Earl is innocent, lacks the competency to be executed, or should not be executed for any other reason, that evidence will be presented prior to his execution.  Please pray that Earl will come to find peace through personal relationship with Jesus Christ, if he has not already.